Sunday, March 15, 2009

Stewart Crosses the Pond

Interesting piece at The Guardian on Stewart's takedown of Cramer. I have watched some of the clips leading up to this confrontation, and I've set aside the video clips of the actual interview, but I haven't watched them yet. Still, I have been quite interested in reading the commentary and coverage of this event- and "event" is the right word. Like Stewart's interview on Crossfire, and Colbert's address at the White House Press Correspondents Dinner, this will be talked about for years. Enough others have discussed it that I don't feel like I have anything to add, except I find it interesting that this is being covered by a British newspaper: it's not just news, it's international news. And I love this quote from Stewart regarding his show... passing on the quote is the whole reason I'm posting this at all: "We recognise what a world-changing thing we have created and the power that we wield. And we wield it arbitrarily and mostly for evil."

Colbert at the White House Press Correspondents Dinner

Stewart on Crossfire (which was canceled shortly afterward)

3 comments:

jrepka said...

What is fascinating is that the commentary in the major media still misses the entire point: The New York Times reviewer called it "as exciting as a Senate subcommittee hearing." Most of the other commentary I've seen (outside the blogs) has talked about the effect this will have on ratings, or what Stewart's agenda is.

It is appropriate that you include the Colbert link, as the American Press' reaction to that was just as tone-deaf...

The Young Swell said...

Nowadays people tend to forget that 'Slapstick' was once the name for a special stick that clowns would hit other clowns with to great comic effect.

Lockwood said...

Wee Mousie- I hadn't forgotten that; actually I never knew it. Does it go back to Punch and Judy? I know those ancient puppet shows were pretty brutal in a comedic sort of way, like the Coyote and the Roadrunner cartoons.